Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) is the research and analytics organization at Allstate. We are solving some of today’s most complicated analytics problems, making the lives of our of Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, and driving our mission to deliver perfect insurance solutions to our customers. We are avid about learning new ways to get the most value from our massive data resources. As a Sr. Data Analytics Engineer – Infrastructure Expert in D3 you will get 10% of your time to innovate, learn, collaborate, and teach. We are partnering to incorporate analytics into every aspect of the enterprise. Developing ourselves and others is to our success.
The Infrastructure Expert is responsible for partnering with Technology to ensure D3’s infrastructure is stable and performing. This position requires a balance of distributed systems administration and software development experience. Here, you will be challenged with problems regarding stability of high performing distributed systems, defining technology strategies, driving and influencing technology choices, and establishing standards and policies. As an industry expert, you will provide direction to senior leadership and AOR partners on technical solutions, concepts and platforms. You will collaborate with Allstate Technology teams to create, set and maintain standards and best practices and patterns of development used within D3’s infrastructure technology space. You will also partner with them closely to provide design guidelines, impart knowledge on technical trends and serve as a Subject Matter Expert on systems configuration and integration, capacity planning, performance analysis and optimization.
- Provides oversight for D3’s infrastructure technology and domains.
- Ensures D3’s analytic infrastructure systems are stable and performing correctly.
- Works closely with Allstate Data Scientists and other users to build a deep understanding of their current / future needs and is a strong advocate with Technology to ensure those needs are met.
- Works closely with key Technology partners to provide ongoing evaluation of infrastructure and services capabilities both on premise and in the cloud.
- Partners closely with peers in Allstate Technology teams to influence and shape the evolving strategic infrastructure needs aligned with desired business objectives.
- Works with Technology to stay current with emerging trends in systems development and delivery to ensure that the D3 organization uses the most appropriate platform / technologies.
- Engages in long-term technical planning and drives Infrastructure strategy and standards to meet D3’s advanced analytics needs in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Promotes technical standards, guidelines, Best Practices and quality control measures for enabling and implementing software systems in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Educates peers in D3 on standards, processes, and tools both within and external to research / experimentation zones.
- Partners with Technology and D3 Data Science teams to optimize operations through automation for code deployments, packaging and other repeatable tasks
- Establishes test cases and scripts for validation and consistent operations following infrastructure and other changes.
- Develops and owns security policies for D3 in alignment with enterprise standards and our Technology partners (Including Firewall rules)
- Create, manage, and own Docker / Domino images and strategy for D3.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s/MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Architecture, or equivalent skills
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent skills & ability.
- Working knowledge on current hardware especially for (distributed) numerical computation; this might include GPUs, FPGAs, Intel MIC, network layer, storage arrays, cluster file systems.
- Experience in analyzing / tuning performance of such computations (esp. multithread/multiprocess) is desired.
- Broad knowledge of advanced environment monitoring & management tools, performance modeling tools, capacity analysis tools, and other advanced modeling and trending tools in a distributed environment.
- Knowledge of UNIX System Administration and networking including working knowledge of TCP IP, DNS, HTTPS/SSL, load balancing etc.
- Working experience in server configuration management and virtual private cloud setups (esp. for distributed computing; example hipaa-compliant setups for sufficient data protection) and public cloud (AWS)
- Understanding of container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.)
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies in Hadoop ecosystem.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Advanced knowledge of professional standards and technology trends within the analytics industry.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Passion to learn new technologies and languages.
- If located in Bothell, WA or Menlo Park,CA, frequent travel to Northbrook, IL (suburban Chicago) required.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.