Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) is the world class research and analytics organization at Allstate. The Enterprise Infrastructure Strategy & Development Expert is a dynamic influencer responsible for partnering with Technology to ensure D3’s next generation analytic environment is stable and performing to facilitate Allstate’s enterprise-wide analytics enablement goals. You will use your distributed systems administration, software development, and business partnering experience to solve challenging problems regarding stability of high performing distributed systems, define technology strategies, drive and influence technology choices, and establish standards and policies. As an industry expert, you will provide direction to senior leadership and be a hands-on partner to Technology on the creation of technical solutions, concepts and platforms. You will collaborate with Allstate Technology teams to create, set and maintain standards and best practices and patterns of development used within D3’s infrastructure technology space.
- Provides strategic direction for D3’s infrastructure technology and domains and ensures that analytic systems are stable and performing correctly.
- Partners closely with Allstate Data Scientists and other users to build a deep understanding of their current / future needs and is a strong advocate with Technology to influence and evolve those needs to achieve desired business objectives.
- Works closely with key Technology partners to provide ongoing evaluation of infrastructure and services capabilities both on premise and in the cloud and works to fill these gaps.
- Works with Technology to stay current with emerging trends in systems development and delivery to ensure that the D3 organization uses the most appropriate platform / technologies.
- Drives long-term technical planning, Infrastructure strategy and standards to meet D3’s advanced analytics needs in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Maximize recent advances in cloud computing infrastructure to identify and design experimentation infrastructure which allows us to innovate and test new algorithms rapidly to measure their effectiveness then launch them into production as soon as they produce positive results.
- Identifies and promotes technical standards, best practices and quality control measures for enabling and implementing software systems in partnership with key Technology partners.
- Provides thought leadership on opportunities to deliver business goals and improve performance by identification of best practices and guidelines to reinvent and optimize Analytic solutions in partnership with key Technology teams.
- Educates peers in D3 on standards, processes, and tools both within and external to research and operational environments.
- Works hands-on in partnership with Technology and D3 Data Science teams to optimize operations and business value through POC’s (hardware, software, tools)
- Identifies language and tools that can bring efficacies or needed techniques as well as by establishing code and test case automation in partnership with data science and technology teams.
- Develops and owns security policies for D3 in alignment with enterprise standards and our Technology partners (Including Firewall rules)
- Create, manage, and own Domino / Docker images and strategy for D3.
- Bachelors or Master’s / MBA degree in a field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Architecture, or equivalent skills.
- 10+ years of related experience or equivalent skills & ability.
- Experience balancing tactical delivery with strategic vision where necessary to meet business-driven, time-critical objectives. The ability to identify, evaluate and articulate trade-off’s and make recommendations is essential.
- Working knowledge on current hardware for enabling analytic solutions; especially for (distributed) numerical computation; this might include GPU’s, FPGA’s, Intel MIC, networking, storage (NAS/SAN) and clustered file systems.
- Experience in analyzing / performance tuning of systems supporting MPP/HPC parallel data processing computations (esp. multi-thread/multi-process) is desired.
- Understanding of container related technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.)
- Broad knowledge of advanced environment monitoring & management tools, performance modeling tools, capacity analysis tools, and other advanced modeling and trending tools in a distributed environment.
- Knowledge of LINUX System Administration and networking including working knowledge of TCP IP, DNS, HTTPS/SSL, storage, load balancing, etc.
- Working experience in server configuration management and virtual private cloud setups (esp. for distributed computing; example HIPAA-compliant setups for sufficient data protection) and public cloud (AWS)
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies in a data science / analytic ecosystem (Spark, Impala, Kudu, Kafka, Python, etc.)
- Proficiency in at least one high level programming language such as Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of the full stack: applications, frameworks, OS, server hardware, networking, storage, datacenter and cloud used to design / build successful solutions.
- Experience using open source technologies and leveraging large sets of structured and unstructured data to develop platforms to enable tactical and strategic insights.
- Evangelist for “doing things right” with a passionate desire to learn new technologies and languages delivering high quality solutions that meet analytic needs.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery including source code and configurations management tools such as: GitHub, Jenkins, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of professional standards and technology trends within the analytics industry.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.