The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
CompoZed is an Allstate developed software delivery methodology with Agile Scrum at its epicenter.
In this role, the CompoZed Software Engineering Manager serves as the leader of a product team. The product team leader ensures the software engineering team adheres to the principles of the CompoZed methodology while possessing a product mindset working within the product team. This is a great opportunity to join Allstate's Product Management Platform team and work on technology critical to core Allstate operations. The Software Engineering Manager ensures the software engineering team following 12-factor principles to build out products through continual enhancements through a full stack of software products; developing and implementing frontends (web or mobile), and backend services. This role will require 50% or more of an individual’s time dedicated to hands-on software engineering tasks with the remainder of time spent in team management and oversight.
- Builds long-term relationships within team and amongst peers by creating an environment of safety and innovation
- Champions open and honest communication
- Respects confidentiality
- Leads by example with integrity
- Welcomes new ideas, learns from successes and failures
- Models and creates an environment of accountability for direct reports and peers
- Establishes vision, direction, and specific objectives for team efforts; allows freedom to accomplish objectives
- Collects staff performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements
- Executes HR-related processes and develops staff through coaching and mentoring and providing specific, timely, open, honest, and constructive performance feedback.
- Leads employees and influences peers through change by using one’s self as an example.
General Management & Decision Making
- Sets and executes team strategy, including objectives, plans and policies for area of responsibility to develop and deliver innovative solutions and systems in support of Enterprise goals. Communicates strategy to the team so they understand their role in achieving the established goals.
- Participate in product scoping, discovery and framing, and inceptions providing technical input and helps translate user features into system design
- Leads and participates in inceptions and iteration planning meetings, infusing backlogs with technical input working in close partnership with the product manager
- Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Leads and participates in retrospectives; demonstrating and encouraging each participant to provide feedback with empathy
- Leads the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product
- Leads collaboration and strategy alignment across product portfolios (cross-product) in partnership with product managers, other peers and key stakeholders
- Serves as an expert on multiple business domain and a distinguished advocate of multiple technology stacks and shares that knowledge across organizations
- Serves as the anchor of the team and practices technical leadership; helping guide the team in choosing the right technology, solving technical problems, and resolving any technical conflicts within the team
- Coaches the team and leads daily practices of using paired programming and test driven development in writing software and building products
- Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
- Leads and participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the CompoZed Labs community.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or STEM field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science and Software Engineering fundamentals
- 8+ years of software engineering and 3+ years of people management experience in complex enterprise environments
- Experienced in work assignment and resource management within the context of a large software engineering project
- Solid communication skills across technical and management conversations
- Strong understanding and effective implementation experience of design patterns, data structures, data persistence, UI frameworks, software and object-oriented design principles along with creating architectural solutions to enable and enforce these principles during implementation
- Experience in developing software in different programming languages and across various paradigms with the ability to quickly understand how new concepts and approaches would impact the system architecture, existing delivery methodologies and operational excellence
- Solid understanding on agile development fundamentals along with key development and productivity tools associated with this methodology
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.