Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Information Services Group within Allstate is a world-class technology organization focused on enabling Allstate to become a leader in the technology and data space. We are looking for a highly-skilled professional to join one of the most visible projects within the company: the Unstructured Data Platform. 80% of the world’s data is in unstructured form; Allstate is looking to tap into the potential that processing and analyzing this data could unlock.
This is a chance to be on the bleeding edge of technical innovation– using the latest and greatest technologies to drive business results. Be a part of a team building out a highly-scalable unstructured data platform which is already processing millions of unstructured objects a day. This role will have high visibility, great potential for growth, and a distinct opportunity to make a major impact within our industry.
- Use Java and Spring Boot to write enterprise services in a fast-past enterprise production team
- Integrate with and heavily utilize technologies like S3-based object stores, MongoDB, Spring Boot and Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Integrate with Kafka, Splunk and other messaging, logging, and monitoring technologies
- Create comprehensive unit, functional, performance, and integration test suites
- Write CI/CD scripts using Jenkins Pipelines
- Write comprehensive documentation
- Work closely with the DevOps team in order to integrate new services with our infrastructure
- Develop a deep understanding of the core components used within the platform and how these interface with other technologies within the company
- Quickly learn and adjust/supplement your skillset as new requirements come up
- Participate in production deployments and provide support when issues may arise
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science required
- Strong knowledge of programming languages: Java required
- Extensive experience with the Spring framework, especially Spring MVC or Spring Boot
- Strong knowledge of database concepts like: Data Integrity, ACID, indexing, partitioning
- Experience working with non-traditional data systems such as Hadoop, S3 , or Cassandra
- Experience working with high-throughput systems
- Experience with multi-threaded applications
- Strong knowledge of Linux, proficient to advanced knowledge of command line programming
- Good knowledge of networking concepts including: TCP/IP, UDP, streaming, routing, latency vs throughput
- Ability to cooperate in a cross-functional team environment spread across many departments, while driving for desired outcomes.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to meet short deadlines and execute against multiple competing priorities with little direct supervision
- Must have a strong background in working in an Agile environment
- Hands-on experience with messaging platforms such as Kafka or SQS
- Hands on experience with Cloud Foundry
- Hands on experience with Docker
- Undersatnding or hands-on experience with Kubernetes
- Good knowledge of AWS or another cloud provider
- Experience with event driven programming
- Hands on experience with CI/CD (Building pipelines would be a definite plus)
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.