The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities. Plus, Allstate is changing how, when, and where we work-to lead us boldly into our future. We’re empowering our employees to create better ways of working through more intentional use of communication and collaboration practices, processes and tools.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Data, Discovery, and Decision Science (D3) is the research and analytics organization at Allstate. In D3, you’ll be surrounded by 330+ tenacious and intellectually curious colleagues in an inclusive culture that encourages you to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good. We are solving some of today’s most complicated analytics problems, making the lives of our Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, and driving our mission to deliver targeted insurance solutions to our customers. We are partnering to incorporate analytics into every aspect of the enterprise. We are avid about learning new ways to get the most value from our massive data resources and leading-edge technology. We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment where everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed. We strive to hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds so that we can better serve our increasingly diverse and multi-faceted customer base. Developing ourselves and others is key to our success.
The Analytics Center of Excellence is positioned at the center of Allstate’s analytics ecosystem and builds, deploys, and integrates advanced analytics across Allstate. As a Principal Data Scientist you will have the opportunity to innovate and drive adoption of the latest data science tools and methodologes across the Allstate enterprise.This includes: researching, developing, and implementing techniques from fields such as statistics, machine learning, natural language processing, and computer vision; the coding/development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions; keeping current with the latest academic research in data science; identification of new business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning; engaging with our university partners to identify research ready for use and implementing within the business. The person in this role will help shape Allstate’s data science strategy and will have the opportunity to work across areas of the business. The role is responsible for assisting in the recruitment, selection, mentorship and development of junior data scientists. This role will also begin to oversee highly complex projects.
- Leverages research and applies state-of-the-art deep learning techniques to inform key strategic recommendations and decisions.
- Reviews, evaluates, communicates and makes recommendation on appropriateness of modeling techniques and results to team, leadership and stakeholders to ensure these are well understood and incorporated into business processes. Develops and executes communication strategy, keeping stakeholders informed, and influencing business partners and senior leaders on the effectiveness of machine learning/predictive modeling to solve business problems.
- Collaborates and influences outside business units and leads work on data and complex business problems across departments in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions and business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement machine learning/predictive models.
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team. Identifies and develops solutions that use new areas of data, research and models and develops data sources that can solve business problems.
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down complex and occasionally highly complex machine learning/predictive modeling and/or development projects into tasks, manages scope of projects, develops project plans, and ensures deadlines are kept.
- Advises data science and business partners on applying advanced analytics and regularly trains them on state-of-the-art.
- This role does not have people management responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a field such as math, computer science, statistics, machine learning, engineering, or related. Graduate degree a plus.
- 7 or more years of related experience.
- Expertise in one or more of the following disciplines: Computer Vision, NLP, Optimization, Deep Learning, or expert Machine Learning generalist.
- Experience deveoping machine learning algorithms and models and applying to business problems.
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Experience working with Agile team and demonstrated analytic agility with ability to quickly learn and switch topic.
- Ability to craft new concepts and stay current with academic research
- Ability to use and learn a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results
- Proven ability to code and develop prototypes in various languages
- Ability to manage a wide range of loosely defined moderate to complex situations, which require application of creativity and originality, where guidance and counsel may be unavailable
- Ability to train, develop, and teach more junior modelers
- Knowledge of advanced machine learning techniques and libraries
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.