The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
This is a Senior Counsel role in the Corporate Litigation group of Dispute Resolution Services. Corporate Litigation principally manages complex litigation – including consumer class actions, breach of contract claims, and allegations of unfair trade practices – filed against Allstate and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates. The Senior Counsel provides expert-level litigation management for and legal counsel to various business areas and senior leadership. The candidate will be responsible for successfully and independently managing a busy docket of diverse and highly complex lawsuits and legal issues. The Senior Counsel must be capable of identifying, analyzing, and navigating through highly complex issues (legal and factual), as well as actively managing outside counsel and coordinating with other key stakeholders to obtain favorable resolutions. Responsibilities may also include personnel management.
• Actively manage and successfully resolve busy docket of diverse and complex lawsuits and other disputes
• Select, retain, and supervise outside counsel, including coordinating with law firms on onboarding and managing budgets
• Develop and oversee implementation of litigation strategies and resolution plans to achieve optimal, timely, and cost-effective outcomes
• Serve as strategic legal partner to the business, providing advice and counsel on business practices, risk avoidance/mitigation, and legal compliance; provide timely reports on substantive developments in legal matters
• Identify, collaborate, and coordinate with key stakeholders (within legal and in the business; internal and external)
• Lead and manage issues that may pose a potential risk to the company, including responding to subpoenas, and assisting/guiding internal/external investigations or inquiries
• Review and revise court filings, including pleadings and substantive motions
• Attend arbitrations, mediations, settlement conferences, trials, critical depositions (e.g., Corporate Representative), and significant hearings and court events; travel may be required.
• Oversee all aspects of internal discovery process, including reviewing and developing strategy on discovery requests and responses, collecting and producing internal documents, coordinating e-discovery, identifying and interviewing witnesses, and participating in key witness testimony preparations
• Organize and lead cross functional teams to assess business practices and procedures, including trend forecasting and counseling on emerging issues/risks
• Prepare and present various internal and external reports on significant litigation and legal issues
• Manage other legal professionals, including attorneys
• Other duties as assigned
This job does have supervisory duties.
Qualifications and Functional Skills:
- Ideal candidate will have 10+ years of litigation experience, including motion, trial, and appellate experience; class action litigation experience is required; insurance experience is preferred
- J.D. from an accredited institution and active state bar license in good standing
- Possess business acumen; displays ability to understand business strategic goals and connect them to legal strategy and analysis
- Critical thinker, creative problem solver, and solutions-driven
- Collaborative team player
- Skilled communicator and writer; able to present and influence stakeholders at varying levels, including executive leaders
- Demonstrated leadership abilities, including managing to deadline cross-functional large-scale projects
- Experience utilizing technology and data analytics in daily tasks and decision making; familiarity with use of legal data analytics tools
- Proven ability to effectively manage a high case load of complex matters in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, without compromising attention to detail and achievement of favorable results
- Agile and adept at prioritizing assignments/work; consistently meets deadlines; acts with strong sense of urgency
- Strong client service orientation
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Compensation offered for this role is between $119, 700 to $180,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications
This role is also “bonus eligible”
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee’s terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.