The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Senior Level Expert provides legal advice and counsel on behalf of the Insurance Operations Law Division group related to moderately complex/moderately sensitive issues related to operations, product management of individual and group issued health, benefits, limited life insurance, and financial products and services. The position collaborates and aligns on strategy, action planning, and communication with clients, business units, and other areas of Law and Regulation (L&R). This role requires proactive counsel to business partners regarding emerging legal issues and risks and knowledge and/or propensity to learn related to health, benefits, broker/dealer, and/or financial products and services including individual and group health plans, supplemental/voluntary benefits, short-term medical, stop loss and retirement and investments strategic relationships. A working knowledge of regulatory compliance and litigation are a plus.
• Fundamental knowledge of insurance products, distribution systems, and claims processes, particularly regarding individual and group health and benefits
• Basic understanding of insurance accounting principles
• Fundamental knowledge of the political nature of the regulatory environment and the litigious nature of insurance
• Familiarity with FTC and NAD marketing and advertising standards, SEC and FINRA rulemakings and related compliance
• Familiarity with broker/dealer and agent standards and related compliance
• Draft, review, and/or negotiate moderately complex matters and agreements
• Perform bill/file reviews and perform case budget oversight
• Management of law firms/outside counsel
• Fundamental knowledge of applicable statutory laws, regulations and judicial developments; specifically, those regarding ERISA, HIPAA, Medicare and the Affordable Care Act
• Conduct complex research and determine applicable and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority
• Monitor and review new laws, regulations and case law; identify and summarize relevant issues; collaborate with other areas of L&R Department; proactively provide advice to counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
• Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
• Work with business colleagues to develop and implement change
• Participate in relevant external industry groups
• Evaluate current processes to create greater efficiencies
This job will have supervisory duties of counsel and/or paralegals and case managers
Education and Experience:
• Juris Doctorate and a license to practice Law in at least one state and/or other states is required
• 10+ years of experience providing legal counsel within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid-to-large sized organization
***Highly prefer a Series 6 or 7 Certification AND/OR ability to pursue Series 6 or 7 while at Allstate
• Computer skills including MS Office suite, Microsoft Teams and Sharepoint, used in or related to the tasks performed
• Insurance-industry knowledge and experience
• Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
• Budget management and project management skills and law firm/vendor management
• Proficient legal and business knowledge
• Proficient analytical skills
• Ability to travel as required (some travel may be required as needed)
• Ability to work in a “remote” office environment
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Compensation offered for this role is $119, 700.00 to a maximum of $180, 000 (commensurate with experience)
***This position is also “bonus eligible”
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life — including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.