Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
We are looking for a corporate transactional attorney with 3-7 years of technology, M&A or commercial transaction experience for a Staff Attorney position in the Investments & Business Transactions division of Allstate’s Law & Regulation Department.
You will collaborate with other attorneys and work directly with our business partners as a member of the business transactions team. The business transactions team is responsible for a wide range of corporate transactional work for our public company parent and numerous subsidiaries in the U.S. and around the world. The business transactions team’s work includes M&A transactions (for example, the recently completed SquareTrade acquisition and earlier Esurance acquisition); legal transactional work for our new, innovative Arity technology companies; a significant volume and array of technology agreements and opportunities for counseling on novel issues as Allstate develops mobile apps and expands into new products and services; collaboration agreements with strategic partners; debt and equity investments and support of corporate finance and treasury initiatives, including public securities offerings; marketing and advertising agreements; legal work for Allstate’s not-for-profit foundations; and a variety of other transactions, agreements and legal advice for business clients throughout the Allstate enterprise.
We are fortunate to have a great team of talented, engaged, hard-working attorneys and are looking for someone like that to join our team. You will be working with attorneys who are invested in your professional development and appreciate that work-life balance begins with the idea that your career and your life should be mutually rewarding, not mutually exclusive.
Your role on the team:
- You will assist in providing legal advice and counsel to business partners on legal issues and risks in connection with various transactions, with supervision on more complex matters.
- You will conduct preliminary legal reviews, identify issues, draft, review, and negotiate agreements, manage projects and prepare recommendations with respect to day-to-day matters and assist with more complex matters.
- This position supports, and has direct accountability for overseeing and handling legal issues for various client groups including Allstate Technology and Strategic Ventures, Corporate Development and Capital Deployment, Treasury and other business units when they are engaged in transactions, including strategic initiatives, acquisitions and dispositions. You will be responsible for helping coordinate with various internal clients in connection with that work.
- From time-to-time, you will also be responsible for overseeing the work of outside counsel and contract workers in connection with routine activities.
- License to practice law in a U.S. Jurisdiction
- 3-7 years of corporate transactional experience in a law firm, a Fortune 500 company or similar organization
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills and experience advising business partners on corporate transactions
- Experience related to technology contracts such as software licenses and software as a service agreements is a significant plus
- Strong organizational, analytical, and critical-thinking skills, as well as the ability to identify and manage issues
- Ability to adapt well to change, multi-task, make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, respond with a sense of urgency and deliver results
- Good interpersonal skills combined with the ability to develop and influence others
- Developing legal and business knowledge with respect to business transactions
- Developing relationships with industry peers and participation in industry associations
This position may be located either in Allstate’s offices in Dallas, Texas or Northbrook, Illinois. Candidates should specify which location they prefer. Some travel to and from Northbrook will be required in the event the position is located in Dallas.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.